Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Birthday fun and an active girl!

Lyla is growing so quickly and developing quite the personality! She definitely rules the family even though she can't talk yet. She is very stubborn when she wants something and will point and grunt until I figure it out, and if I'm too slow she'll wiggle out of my arms and take off crawling to find what she wants.

Apparently she's going to be quite the musician- she loves playing the piano and will stand on her tiptoes in order to reach the keys. She also loves dancing- she loves her toys that play music and she rocks back and forth and waves her arms while they play. Her favorite song is Haven't Met You Yet by Michael Buble. At least 15 times a day she points to our cd player until I turn it on, and then she keeps pointing until I get to the song. Then we dance around the house while it plays and she loves it!! Before it even ends, she points for me to turn it on again- definitely helps me get my exercise in!
She also loves playing a little keyboard that we bought on craigslist.

I love her focused face. Sometimes she'll even stick her tongue out of the side of her mouth as she concentrates.


I've wanted to start playing the piano more often, but Lyla never lets me. This is how it always goes:

I sit down to play when she's distracted with something else but she immediately crawls over to me and begs to get up.

I let her beg for a minute so she turns to daddy with her little puppy-dog tears which he can't resist...

So she ends up on my lap and I'm frustrated for just a second...


until i remember how cute she is and then I let her take over the keys. As long as she takes piano lessons without complaining, I'll forgive her for never giving me a chance to play anymore. :)


We celebrated Paul's birthday a few weeks ago. He woke up sick on the morning of the big day, but he found enough energy to act happy and open a few presents.


I made a chocolate swirl cheesecake which was too much work and didn't taste very good, but Paul said he liked it. Lyla helped him blow out the candles and tried to grab a handfull of cake when we weren't looking...


I can't believe we'll be celebrating Lyla's 1st birthday this weekend- she's growing up way too fast! So, I need some advice on a few random things. Let me know if you have any good ideas about:

1) Activities to do with Lyla all winter when we can't go outside. She gets so bored and I run out of things to do with her at this age...

2) How to get her to drink milk or eat anything other than crackers and peaches.

3) How do you deal with the mess of a baby learning to eat? I'm by no means a neat freak but I feel like there is constantly food all over the floor now and it's driving me crazy! And I haven't even let Lyla feed herself with a spoon or fork yet so I'm sure it will only get worse.

4)Is there a good way to print off my blog posts to use in a scrapbook? I'm not good at scrapbooking and I need to find an easy way to keep on top of it all

3 comments:

Emily said...

Lyla's so cute! I know what you mean about playing the piano. Maybe you could arrange a daddy-daughter date just so you can get in a little practice... or maybe see if you can stay a little bit after church and play in a room while Lyla roams the halls with Paul.
Danica's pretty good at playing by herself, but some activities that I do with her are dancing (alot!), reading, let her play with pots and pans, tupperware, or measuring cups, window shopping at the mall (I think she's a people-watcher), put a blanket over a table and sit in the fort, I'll bundle her up a ton and just let her walk up and down our driveway, let her dig through my purse or wallet. Danica loves using her imagination so I got a bottle for her baby and she's getting a play kitchen for Christmas... she LOVES playing with those.
Danica's a picky eater. Sometimes it helps if I take a bite of the food first and say mmm or make her think it's my food she's eating... I guess that's more of a treat? A lot of times I have to distract Dani by saying "oh, what do you see out the window?" or "Do you see the Christmas tree" or "Do you see Daddy?" then she opens her mouth as I bring the food to it. Letting Danica feed herself helps her eat more too. PB&J is good or grilled cheese, string beans, and mandarin oranges cut up. It does get messy, but get a larger plastic bib and we LOVE our dust buster... it was only $15 at Walmart. I thought switching over to milk would be hard, but I would do like 2 oz of milk and 4 oz of formula in the same bottle, then after a couple days or so did half and half and not too long after that she was drinking straight milk. We bought one last thing of formula and told ourselves she'd better be using milk only by the time this runs out because we're not buying another case of it. And Danica did just fine.
As far as the blog posts, I have a couple friends who do that. I'll ask them what they use. They say it's pretty easy. Remind me too, if I don't get back to you soon :)

Natalie said...

I'm no expert on children but I do know about printing out your blog.
We got to a site called blog2print.com. There you can personalize your book and they will publish it and send it to you. Good Luck!

Grossarths said...

Wow, Lyla looks so much like you in these pictures! I love that she has a favorite song and begs to listen to it. I know its not fun going outside during the winter, but if I were you, I'd watch the news and see which days will be really bad, and then which ones are better each week. On the bad ones, just plan to stay inside and do more playing with Lyla. One the better days, plan at least one activity outside of the house so that you don't both go crazy! Take Lyla swimming somewhere indoors of course. Keep going to the library. Walk inside the mall or a book store. Anywhere new that Lyla hasn't seen before will be exciting for her.