Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's an Obamanation...

We had our intramural basketball game last night, and we got whooped. The team we played was probably the best we've seen in our 2 season career. Our team played well, but we all had our rough spots. At the end of the game I was really grateful for Callie's summary of my performance, "Do you know what your problem is? You can't dribble with your left hand and you know it! And you're playing with your back to the hoop too often." Now that may sound harsh, but if you're a true athlete you love this kind of criticism and she was totally right. I'm going to remember that and focus on improving.

Anybody watch Obama's address to the nation two nights ago? I didn't get to watch it live, but I read a lot of quotes from it and tried to study it enough to be fair. He had some things that I didn't agree with, but I do have to respect him for one of his comments. The conversation went as follows:

Jake: "The American people have seen hundreds of billions of dollars spent already, and still the economy continues to free fall. Beyond avoiding the national catastrophe that you've warned about, once all the legs of your stool are in place, how can the American people gauge whether or not your programs are working? Can they -- should they be looking at the metric of the stock market, home foreclosures, unemployment? What metric should they use? When? And how will they know if it's working, or whether or not we need to go to a plan B"

Obama: "I think my initial measure of success is creating or saving 4 million jobs. That's bottom line number one..."

That's a bold statement and one that can be easily measured. If his plan does create those jobs and bring success, I think we'll see a 2-term president and the opposite is also true. Although I don't see things the way Obama does, and I don't like some of his plans and policies, I respect him for that comment.

No comments: