Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spit-up queen!

Ok, I need some suggestions. Lyla is officially the queen of spitting up and I need ideas on how to deal with the mess. I guess it's because she has reflux that after each feeding she spits up so much that I wonder how she's getting enough to be growing as fast as she is. It's not unusual to completely drench two burp cloths in 2 minutes. Yesterday I was going to a cooking class with my mom so I made the mistake of wearing nice clothes. I successfully finished feeding and burping Lyla and thought I was out of the danger zone because I was about to get her in her carseat and there hadn't been an incident yet. Suddenly it all came up...drenching her cute new outfit that I had been protecting, completely soaking my pants down to my knee, and covering the nursing pad cover that I had washed and put back on 20 minutes earlier. Most days I feel that I'm a walking burp cloth, and I'm sure people wonder about the smell that surrounds me.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for us? I've thought about wearing around plastic rain shields all of the time...


Lyla does make up for all of the spit-up in being cute. We were trying on her dress for an upcoming family picture and we couldn't resist some pictures of her darling yellow bow and silver slippers.


3 comments:

Grossarths said...

Well, she sure is a cutie. I say you just let her wear shoes, diaper and something on her head every day! Now that its almost summer I'm sure she can get away with it! :) I have heard of people buying cute bibs and they just have their little spitters wear bibs all the time. Sorry, I don't have a lot of advice...

Brandon and Lindsey B said...

Ellie has reflux and I am sorry that you are unfortunately in the same boat. She is doing so much better now that's she's older though so there is hope!!

Oh so much to say. Actually I'm going to email you... so look for that:)

Lindsey

Tiffany said...

Hey Tiff...so I've been stalking your blog for awhile now :) but I needed to speak up on this one. This is Tiff LeeMaster Jones. My two sweet girls had/have reflux in a major way, so I feel your pain. Here are some of my tricks:
--use dish towels instead of burp clothes. bigger and more absorbent. Costco has a big 10-12 pack that is awesome. They aren't cute, but are very functional.
--sit her up for 20-25 mins after EVERY feeding. meaning hold her in a sitting position on your lap for that long (with a burp cloth on hand!). It's brutal on Mom and you won't ever get anything done, but it works.
--if she takes a bottle, add about one teas. rice cereal per ounce that she drinks. This makes the milk heavier so it stays in her stomach.
--there's a fine line between feeding her at the right time and feeding too early. Reflux babies usually start crying at the 2 hour-ish mark because their belly hurts, not because they are hungry. If you feed them too early it often comes right back up. grrrr.... so I always held my girls off until at least 2.5 hrs, even though they sat and cried. And it sucked. But it was better in the long run.
--try feeding her less milk, more times throughout the day. She will probably still act hungry and cry at first, but she should quickly get used to the altered feeding schedule. My 8 mo old just barely moved up to 5 oz (my niece the same age drinks 7 oz) because she couldn't handle more than 4 oz before now. So she ate 4 oz every 3 hrs until she didn't vomit with every bottle.
--and best of all! Get her on reflux medicine!!! It will be your new best friend! My Nattie is on Tagamet. But Zantac or whatever else works too. They are all in the same family of drugs.
I totally feel your pain. Reflux in the worst. But once you get a handle on it it's a lot better. Good luck!
If you have any other questions and/or you want to be invited to my blog send me an email at tiffany.leemaster at gmail. :)